House fire still under investigation

NASHUA – Investigators have yet to pin down what sparked the fire last week that forced a pregnant teen to drop from a second-story window of her Cottage Avenue home.

The fire was reported shortly before 3:40 p.m., and caused heavy damage to the apartment building at 11 Cottage Ave., leaving five people homeless.

One resident, Krystal Bombard, 19, was treated at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center after she climbed out a window and dropped onto a trash bin that a neighbor had placed below, in response to her cries for help.

Fire officials said the fire appeared to have started on the second floor, but Fire Inspector Brian Donaldson said Thursday that his investigation remains open.

Donaldson declined to comment on whether he considers the fire suspicious or accidental.

The local Red Cross chapter helped residents with shelter and clothing after the fire.