Girl hit by van, seriously injured

NASHUA – A 14-year-old city girl was seriously injured early Wednesday night after she was struck by a van on Allds Street.

The girl, whose identity police would not release because of her age, was initially transported by ambulance to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center then flown by medical helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon after emergency crews found her lying in the road just north of the intersection of Allds Street and Harbor Avenue.

The girl, who suffered a head injury in the 5:10 p.m. crash, was in critical condition hours later, police said.

Nashua police Sgt. Peter Bouchard, who responded to the crash, said it appeared that the girl had run out in front of a large green van that was heading north on the street.

A female motorist who was traveling behind the van reported the crash via 911 after seeing the incident, Bouchard said.

The adult male driver of the van, whose identity was not available, was not injured in the crash.

Bouchard said the girl was conscious and bleeding from the mouth as fire and ambulance crews worked to mobilize her for transport to the hospital.

She was transported from the scene minutes later, leaving a small puddle of blood and the road.

The van, with Jolt Electric and Oil Burner Service written on the side, sat on the east side of the road several feet from the puddle with it’s driver standing nearby.

Bouchard said the van’s driver said he had just driven north through the intersection and had several cars in front of him when he saw the blur of a grey sweatshirt in front of him.

“She came out of nowhere,” Bouchard said.

The Nashua Police Department’s reconstruction team was investigating the crash.

The driver was cooperating with the investigation and alcohol did not appear to be a factor in the crash, police said.

Police closed off traffic to Allds Street at Harbor Avenue and King Street immediately after arriving to the crash site and the road remained closed late Wednesday night.

The crash was the second serious crash involving a pedestrian during rush-hour traffic in less than a week.

Roland Burton, 54, of 6 Williams St. was killed Monday night after he was struck by a pick up truck as he was crossing East Hollis Street near the Marshall Street intersection at about 5:30 p.m.

Police are still looking for witnesses to that crash which happened in the center of the road in between Wendy’s and McDonald’s restaurants.

Burton, who was unconscious when emergency crews arrived to the scene, died hours later at Southern New Hampshire Medical Center.

Both accidents happened outside of a crosswalk and because of the change to standard time over the weekend both crashes happened after sunset.