Fire in bedroom damages Bedford house

BEDFORD – A family was temporarily homeless after a first-alarm fire Christmas night. About 15 firefighters responded to a home at 27 Shaw Drive after someone from the home reported a bedroom fire by calling 911 at about 9:15 p.m.

Upon arrival, firefighters found a couple and some teenagers standing outside in front of the large, two-bedroom, wood-frame home, said Bedford fire Lt. Mark Shatney.

Firefighters entered the home and found smoke and heat coming from a closed bedroom door on the second floor. They found a fire coming from an area where there appeared to be a table in the room. They were able to extinguish the fire with a small amount of water.

The fire was under control at about 9:55 p.m. No firefighters were hurt in the effort. The home sustained smoke and heat damage throughout, more than fire damage, Shatney said. The room was a total loss, he said.

Investigators still need to examine the home’s wiring. The fire is under investigation. Shatney said a candle may have caused the fire.

The names of the people in the house were not available. The occupants found lodging for the night.