12-year-old suffers burns

NASHUA – A Nashua sixth-grader burned his leg while playing with gasoline and matches Sunday evening and was transported to a burn center, according to his older brother.

Larry Nelson said the accident happened to his 12-year-old brother, David Ganley, a student at Elm Street Middle School. It occurred on Palm Street at around 7 p.m. Sunday, he said, when David and a friend were playing.

“They had found a can of gasoline. He said he made a trail of gas,” Nelson said. “They got some matches and it ignited and lit his pants.”

Nelson said the back of his brother’s right leg was badly burned, and although David could still walk, “the flesh was hanging off,” he said.

David ran to the nearby house of Veronica Squires, 28 Buck St., whose son he knows.

“He was screaming; he was in agony,” said Squires.

Squires took the boy to his mother, Carol Ganley, who called 911 and accompanied him to Southern New Hampshire Medical Center.

Official information was not available Sunday night, but Nelson said the boy was being taken to Shriners Hospital in Boston.