Water violated bacteria standard
MILFORD – Residents and businesses that get water from Milford were notified this week that the system had violated a bacteria standard in early November.
Under state standards, no corrective action was required, and sampling as of mid-November found no bacteria, town officials said.
According to the Milford Water Department, monthly sampling of nine sites throughout Milford found one sample in early November that violated standards for the presence of coliform bacteria. The presence of this bacteria can indicate problems, but none of the more serious fecal coliform or E. coli bacteria was found in the distribution system.
The discovery was made at an industry near the end of a dead-end water pipe, where stagnant water can collect, shortly after fire hydrants had been flushed.
“The presence of bacteria is most likely associated with the ‘stirring-up’ effect during the flushing,” said a Water Department press release.
The notification to individuals sent out this week followed an earlier announcement in the Milford Cabinet, as required under state law.
Gas leak repaired, school called safe
NASHUA – A gas leak was discovered on the outside of Fairgrounds Middle School on Wednesday morning and was fixed prior to the start of school.
“It was basically a small leak in an exterior pipe. It was repaired in a short period of time,” Deputy Chief John Allison of Nashua Fire Rescue said.
Superintendent Joseph Giuliano said Michael Hogan, the principal of the school, detected the smell of gas upon arrival. Hogan immediately called the fire department and gas provider KeySpan. Both parties responded and investigated the situation.
Allison said readings revealed there was no gas in the building, and children were allowed in.
“We determined it was safe to go inside,” he said.
Giuliano said the heat had to be shut off for about half an hour as the repairs took place and the broken release valve was replaced. Giuliano received a call around 9 a.m. explaining that everything was fixed at the school. The opening of school was delayed by only a few minutes.
“The safety of the children was our primary concern,” Giuliano said.
If the school needed to be evacuated, Giuliano said students would have been relocated to another site. Fairgrounds Middle School was built in 1962 with additions and renovations taking place about five years ago.
Free financial aid info tonight
Guidance counselors from Nashua High School North and South will hold a free college financial aid workshop tonight at Nashua South.
The program will be available in English and Spanish and students from both high schools are encouraged to attend. There will be an English version in the auditorium presented by Colleen McKenna from the New Hampshire Higher Education Assistance Foundation of Concord.
The Spanish version will be in the Career Center presented by Esteban Lopez from the New Hampshire College and University Council of Concord.
Materials will be provided. The workshop will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Flu vaccine for adults
Home Health & Hospice Care is holding a flu vaccination clinic for older adults and adults at highest risk of complications from the flu Monday, Dec. 20, from 1-3 p.m.
Only older adults receiving Medicare and other adults 18 and older with chronic conditions will receive the vaccine. Adults 18 and older, however, must present a physician’s note.
Because vaccine supply is limited, flu shots will be administered on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Those covered by Medicare B must show their Medicare identification card for billing purposes. They will not be charged. For other adults, there is a $20 fee for the shot.
For more information, call Home Health & Hospice Care at 882-2941.