Town takes over Faulkner mill site
The Souhegan Valley Land Trust transferred the ownership of Purgatory Lower Falls, also known as the Faulkner Mill Site, to the town earlier this month.
The site was purchased last year by the SVLT after months of fundraising to reach the required $58,000. For the past few months the purchase has been in the hands of attorneys assuring the proper wording of easements.
The property, located on the Milford-Lyndeborough town line, is about five acres and contains the well-preserved foundations of a sawmill that date to about 1811. The mill burned in the 1960s.
Access is from a small parking lot off Purgatory Road, just north of Fitch’s Corner.
Hikers can walk three miles of trails to the upper falls off Purgatory Falls Road in Lyndeborough.
On May 8, the purchase will be celebrated at a dinner and program at Lyndeborough’s Old Town Hall.