New historic places added to state register
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources has entered five new historic properties to the state’s Register of Historic Places.
• Haverhill Lime Kilns, off Limekiln Road, Haverhill: Built between 1838 and 1842, these stone lime kilns heated rare mined limestone into powder which was then used for agriculture and architecture. They closed some 50 years later, until one was repaired for use in 1940. The Haverhill Heritage Commission is currently working with the property owners to keep the kiln site cleared and open for public access.
• Simonds Rock, off Al Paul Lane, Merrimack: Simonds Rock has been named by the U.S. Geological Survey as the second largest glacial boulder in New Hampshire. Measuring some 50 feet long and 30 feet high, the boulder has been used as a landmark by travelers and surveyors for centuries. It is owned by the Southwood Corp., a company of Pennichuck Corp.
• New Castle Congregational Church, Main Street, New Castle: This church was built in 1828 and is the only ecclesiastical building in New Castle, according to the Historical Division. Its exterior and interior have remained unaltered and in good condition for close to 200 years.
• Odiorne Homestead, Ocean Boulevard, Rye: Used as a farm since the 1600s, the Odiorne Homestead has been an important resource throughout the centuries with use by American Indians, the first European settlement in the state, tidewater farming and coastal defense during World War II.
• Governor Wentworth State Historic Site, Wentworth Farm Road, Wolfeboro: Gov. John Wentworth of Portsmouth was New Hampshire’s last royal governor in 1768. Wentworth’s inventory records, said the state historic division, showed that a large salaried labor force built a mansion, scores of outbuildings, a game reserve, mills and a landing on Lake Wentworth. Wentworth fled New Hampshire on the eve of the American Revolution, and his estate was seized and later sold at auction. The mansion house burned in 1820. In 1933, historian Lawrence Shaw Mayo gave the core of the estate – 96 acres – to the state.
The register recognizes and honors properties that are meaningful in the history, architecture, archeology, engineering or traditions of New Hampshire’s residents and communities. — CINDY KIBBE