MRSA closes school wrestling room

LONDONDERRY (AP) – A Londonderry Middle School student has been diagnosed with MRSA, a stubborn staph infection, and his school has closed its wrestling room as a precaution.

The boy’s mother said the infection started as a sore on his knee. MRSA is resistant to some antibiotics and is transmitted by skin-to-skin contact or shared items like towels, razors or bandages.

Health officials are not sure where the boy contracted the infection, but as a precaution, the school has closed and disinfected its wrestling room. The boy is a member of the wrestling team.