Man hit by car stays in coma

NASHUA – A city man remains in critical condition at a Boston hospital with injuries he suffered last week when a car struck him on Main Street.

Michael McClure, 46, of Clocktower Place, was taken by ambulance to UMass Medical Center in Worcester, Mass., after a Mitsubishi Mirage struck him at the intersection of Main and Pearl streets Aug. 11, police and his family said.

He remains in a drug-induced coma at the hospital and is too unstable to undergo surgery for his injuries that include two broken legs and a fractured skull, his brother Richard McClure of Chelmsford, Mass., said.

Monday night police confirmed that the 22-year-old driver of the Mitsubishi was city resident Alyssa Turcotte.

Turcotte, who was not injured in the crash, had not been charged on the night of the crash, but the department’s accident reconstruction unit was investigating and charges could be forthcoming, police said after the crash.

McClure, a maintenance worker at St. John the Evangelist Church, was believed to be walking to the Villa Banca restaurant, where he was a regular customer, when the crash occurred shortly after 8 p.m.

He was walking east across Main Street toward The Nashua Bank when the northbound Mitsubishi struck him near the curb on the east side of the street, police said that night.

A manager at Villa Banca, Liz Sutcliffe, 25, said she heard the crash and ran to McClure’s aid, finding him laying in the intersection moaning in pain. The Mitsubishi had stopped near the crosswalk, and the woman driver was “hysterical,” at that time, Sutcliffe said.

At least one patron of the restaurant saw the crash and spoke to police immediately after it happened, Sutcliffe said.

Richard McClure said he has been trying to get the police report of the incident since the crash happened, but last week, Nashua police officials told him he could not have it without written consent from his brother. “I explained, ‘Hello? He is in a coma.’ They said sorry, not without a consent form or court order,” McClure said by e-mail.

On Monday, McClure said he was able to get insurance exchange information from police that listed Turcotte as an uninsured driver and stated that police had towed Turcotte’s car to the Nashua Police Department.

McClure said he is still trying to get the police report, but as of Monday morning, police said it still had not been finished.

McClure is looking for witnesses of the crash and is asking that anyone with information call him at 1-978-256-8822.

Police on duty Monday night could not comment on the case.

Nashua police Sgt. John Fisher, who heads the accident reconstruction unit, is out of the office until Aug. 25, according to his voice mail.