Gas leak forces evacuation of residents at two motels

MERRIMACK – Guests and staff at two motels on the Daniel Webster Highway in Merrimack were evacuated following a gas leak at a propane gas distributor.

Merrimack Fire Chief Mike Currier said the gas levels from the Bot-L-Gas plant were high enough to cause an explosion.

The New Hampshire Union Leader reported residents at the Comfort Inn and Residence Inn were told they had to leave.

A desk clerk at the Residence Inn said 90 of the 129 rooms were occupied at the time.

A section of the highway was closed for more than an hour Sunday night.

Currier said the plant’s shutoff system allowed officials to quickly turn off the valves.