French Hill family homeless after fire

NASHUA – A French Hill family is temporarily homeless after a fire broke out Thursday night in the attic above their second-floor apartment.

Firefighters responded to 94-96-1/2 Tolles St. at 10 p.m., when a resident noticed smoke in the building and called 911, Deputy Fire Chief Dan Cronin said.

Light smoke was visible when firefighters arrived minutes later and traced it to a crawl space in the attic, he said.

“It does not look suspicious,” Cronin said, adding that the fire appeared to have been caused by an electrical source.

The fire burned some rafters and insulation in the attic and caused some smoke damage by the time it was extinguished, he said.

Three other families who live in the building were allowed back in after firefighters got the situation under control 30 minutes later, Cronin said.

The family whose unit is connected to the attic area would be staying in a hotel for the night, he said.