Food left on stove almost causes fire

A forgotten meal caused a bit of a ruckus on Ferry Street Saturday night when smoke pouring from a home there attracted Hudson fire engines.

No one was home at 88 Ferry St., but the stove was left on and burned the meal left there, filling the home with smoke, according to Hudson Fire Chief Shawn Murray.

Firefighters were called just after 6 p.m. and arrived to find the house filled with smoke and smoke pouring out of a second-floor window, he said.

“A couple minutes longer, it would have taken off,” Murray said.

Five dogs were in the home, but appeared to have suffered no ill effects from the smoke, Murray said.

Dozens of cars were delayed as a Hudson police officer directed them around the two fire engines and one ladder truck on the scene.

Fire officials weren’t immediately able to locate the owners of the house, Murray said.