Fire displaces as many as 9 people

NASHUA – A fire that broke out Saturday morning in the basement of a Lynde Street house displaced a family living there, fire officials said.

Crews responded to a single-family house at 5 Lynde St. at about 8:30 a.m., Deputy Fire Chief Steve Galipeau said, and they had the fire knocked down in about half an hour. No one was injured.

The fire caused significant damage to the basement and extended to the first-floor walls of the two-story, wood-frame house, Galipeau said.

The cause, he added, was determined to be “class A combustibles too close to a gas boiler.” He declined to identify exactly what the combustibles were, but said such materials may include paper, cardboard and clothing. Galipeau said the house is uninhabitable because the gas and electricity had to be shut off for safety reasons.

The Red Cross assisted in finding the occupants temporary housing, Galipeau said. To his knowledge, nine people were living in the house. Nashua property records list the owners as Andre and Laurie Allard.