Ex-city man not guilty of girl's rape

NASHUA – A former city man was found not guilty last week of molesting a young girl during the 1990s.

On Friday, a jury found James Caron, 44, not guilty on four counts of aggravated felonious and five counts of felonious sexual assault, according to documents filed at Hillsborough County Superior Court.

Caron, whose last known address is listed as 35 Hassle Brook Road, was indicted in June and accused of sexually assaulting a girl between 1995-99, according to court records. Each charge carried a maximum of 10-20 years in prison.

Prosecutors petitioned the court to allow their primary witness, an undercover Nashua police detective, to testify while wearing a mask to protect his safety and other ongoing investigations, according to court documents.

Judge William Groff denied that motion because, he said, it would have denied Caron his right to confront his accusers, according to the documents.

Assistant County Attorney Joseph Fricano said the detective did end up testifying.

“These cases can be difficult,” he said. “We respect the jury’s opinion. Unfortunately, there was no physical evidence to show them because the crimes happened so long ago.”

The alleged victim was between 5 and 12 years old when the alleged assaults happened. She is now in her early twenties, Fricano said.

“She’s a wonderful woman. Doing well, trying to move on with her life. Obviously she was devastated by the verdict,” Fricano said. “We all were.”