3 pets rescued from 2-alarm house fire

Firefighters rescued two dogs and a cat from a house fire in Wilton on Friday afternoon.

Rescue trucks from five towns responded to the two-alarm fire in a two-story single-family house at 10 Edwards St. around 2:30 p.m. It was out by 3 p.m.

The rescued dogs, a boxer and a toy-sized dog, were in crates in front of the garage. No one was home at the time.

The house is owned by Andrew Gardent, said Wilton Fire Chief Ray Dick, who said it was reported as a chimney fire by a passerby.

“The problem with these old houses is that a fire gets started in a wall and starts on one floor and goes all the way to the attic before you know it,” he said.

The house is on the corner of Dale and Edwards streets. It is less that a quarter-mile from Route 31, near downtown Wilton.

Firefighters from Wilton, Greenville, Milford, Mont Vernon and Lyndeborough responded.

– Kathy Cleveland