Youth in 'riot' gets probation with plea deal



Published:

NASHUA - One of the two youths arrested after what police described as a gang riot on Cross Street last fall admitted to a reduced charge and was sentenced Tuesday to a year on probation. William Vazquez, 18, of 298B Lake St., pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor disorderly conduct charge, alleging that he was yelling and making an unreasonable amount of noise while leaning out a car window and swinging a baseball bat at another youth early in the morning of Nov. 12, 2007. The car's driver, Michael Euliano, 19, of 7 Blackstone Drive, is accused of driving into a group of youths, hitting three of them. One teen suffered a broken leg and collarbone, police said, while two others received minor injuries. Euliano is free on $50,000 bail while facing felony charges of second-degree assault, reckless conduct and leaving the scene of an accident. His trial had been scheduled next month but has been postponed to Dec. 15 in Hillsborough County Superior Court.Euliano claims he acted in self-defense, according to a notice filed by his lawyer, public defender Donald Topham. Euliano was driving a motor vehicle when he was surrounded by an angry mob of up to 50 people who attacked his vehicle with deadly weapons, including a machete, Topham wrote. Vazquez had faced a felony reckless conduct charge, alleging that he swung a baseball bat at another youth while hanging out the window of Euliano's car, but that charge was dropped as part of his plea bargain. Admitting to disorderly conduct, Vazquez was sentenced to one year on probation, with a 12-month jail sentence to remain deferred on the condition that he stay out of any further trouble. Police said the riot began with an argument between two groups at the Amber Room Nightclub on the night of Nov. 11, police said. The youths agreed to fight outside Wendy's on East Hollis Street, where a group including Vazquez and Euliano confronted another group of at least four teens, police reported. The confrontation grew to involve at least 15 to 20 people, some armed with machetes and other weapons and moved to the area of Cross Street, between Canal and Whitney streets, police said. Gunshots were fired later that night at the Canal Street residence of one of the teens involved in the fight, but no one has hit, and no one has been charged with the shootings. Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleEdit ModuleShow Tags

Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags

 

Edit ModuleShow Tags