Milford man convicted of molesting girl is jailed
NASHUA - A 66-year-old Milford man was jailed Wednesday after a jury convicted him of molesting a girl several years ago, the prosecutor said. Albert Demello Jr., of 26 Melendy Road, was found guilty on three counts of felonious sexual assault, each punishable by up to 3-1/2 to seven years in prison, and an aggravated felonious sexual assault charge, which carries a maximum of 7-1/2 to 15 years in prison. His sentencing has yet to be scheduled. Demello's trial began Tuesday in Hillsborough County Superior Court, and jurors deliberated for several hours Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning before convicting Demello shortly after noon Wednesday, first assistant county attorney Roger Chadwick said in a voice message to The Telegraph. Chadwick could not subsequently be reached for comment. Demello had been free on bail since his arrest last year, but state law requires that people convicted of certain violent felonies be jailed while awaiting sentencing. Demello's first trial, in December 2007, had ended in a mistrial, after jurors were unable to reach a unanimous decision on the charges, court records show. Demello spoke with Milford police detectives after the young woman first reported the alleged assaults in 2006, and he denied assaulting her. Demello was convicted of molesting the woman, now 21, on various occasions from 1993 through 1999, starting when she was in the first grade, Chadwick said. Both Demello and the girl's family lived at various times in Milford and Brookline during the 1990s, and the assaults took place at his home and her home. Chadwick said. The girl knew Demello, but The Telegraph's policy of not identifying the victims of sexual assault precludes reporting details of their relationship. Demello's lawyer, public defender John Newman, argued that the young woman lied about the assaults and that it was impossible for Demello to defend against such accusations so many years later.