Woman who fled court captured in Mass.


A woman who escaped from sheriff officers at a court hearing in Nashua was caught less than 24 hours later in Lawrence, Mass. Tammara Wallace, 45, fled Hillsborough County Superior Court on Tuesday morning but was caught Wednesday morning, county Sheriff James Hardy said. During her escape, she was seen wearing a Santa hat. Hardy didn't provide details of how Wallace escaped custody and fled the courthouse, citing a pending investigation. It is unknown if Wallace had already appeared for a hearing on a theft charge when she fled. This marks the second time in nearly four months that someone has broken free from Hillsborough County sheriff officers. In August, a man with a lengthy criminal record hit a court officer in the face and struggled with security before leading police on a massive manhunt.At one point during her journey, Wallace was spotted at Bugaboo Creek restaurant in the Nashua Mall plaza, county Sheriff Lt. Bill Barry said. While wearing a Santa hat, Wallace asked the staff to use a phone, he said. It is unknown how Wallace traveled from the Spring Street courthouse to the mall on Broad Street, but city buses run routes from downtown to the shopping plaza. Wallace was arrested in her Lawrence residence, Barry said. She was slated to be arraigned in Lawrence District Court on Wednesday afternoon, and an attempt will be made to extradite her, he said. In New Hampshire, she will eventually face a charge for failing to meet bail conditions, and likely will face charges for her escape, Hardy said. A superior court judge late Tuesday revoked her bail for failing to meet three or four conditions, he said. She was in court on a theft by unauthorized taking charge, Hardy said. Two county sheriff officers staked out her 22 School St. residence in Lawrence on Tuesday night, Barry said. The next morning, the officers got a tip that Wallace was inside, and she was soon arrested, he said. Wallace was arrested in Lawrence last month on a trespassing charge, Barry said. Having violated her bail conditions, she was extradited to New Hampshire for the Tuesday court hearing, he said. Nashua police were called to Hillsborough Superior Court some time after Wallace fled, police Lt. Bruce Hansen said. Nashua police officers helped try to find Wallace near the court, but by then, "she was long gone," he said. In August, 43-year-old Peter Gibbs escaped sheriff's officers at Nashua District Court by assaulting one of them, prosecutors charge. Gibbs, who has several felony convictions and is awaiting trials on more, jumped into the Nashua River but was pulled out by police.
Edit ModuleShow Tags