Ex-Nashuan due in court over stabbing


NASHUA – A former city man faces an attempted murder charge for robbing and repeatedly stabbing a man whom he believed had “ratted him out,” according to court records. James Sogness II, 20, of Fort Myers, Fla., and formerly of Nashua, has been jailed since his arrest soon after the stabbing May 25. He was indicted last week, and is scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Hillsborough County Superior Court on charges of attempted murder, first-degree assault, robbery and falsifying evidence. Sogness faces up to life in prison, if convicted of attempted murder. The assault and robbery charges each carry up to 7½ to 15 years in prison. Sogness is accused of repeatedly stabbing an acquaintance, Michael Jones, of 5 Denton St., in the head, neck and back, causing life-threatening injuries, including bleeding in his brain and a broken neck, as well as numerous stab wounds, the indictments state. Sogness is also accused of taking $500 cash from Jones, police said. Sogness was living with a family on Vespa Lane in Nashua until shortly before the alleged stabbing, but he was thrown out after fighting with a resident there, according to police reports filed in Nashua District Court. He later moved in with a friend in Hudson. Jones told police that Sogness had come to his home shortly before 1 a.m. May 25, and wanted to come in, have a beer and hang out. Jones didn’t know Sogness well, but Sogness had been to his home once before, about a month previously, he told police. Sogness attacked Jones soon after he arrived, saying something about Jones having “ratted him out,” Jones told police. Jones said he had no idea what Sogness was talking about, police said. Jones was able to make his way into the hallway of his apartment building after the attack, and he knocked at a neighbor’s door, police said. His neighbor and a visitor at her home found him on the floor, bleeding profusely from several wounds, police said. A witness, William Halferty of 6B Dugout Road, Hudson, told police he and Sogness had been drinking at Nan King restaurant on the night of May 24, and that they both went to sleep after getting home at 11:30 p.m. Prosecutors claim that Sogness burned his clothing in an outdoor fireplace in Hudson after the stabbing, but police said that they found Sogness at 41 Vespa Drive in Nashua later that day. Sogness agreed to speak with police, and after first making various inconsistent statements, police said he told detectives he stabbed Jones, hit him with a kettle and kicked him about the head. Andrew Wolfe can be reached at 594-6410 or awolfe@nashuatelegraph.com.
Edit ModuleShow Tags